Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Reading and Writing Reflection


On our first full reading class two weeks ago, I forgot to bring post-it notes to comment on, so my notes begin on page 32, which makes it difficult to remember what happened, much less what I was thinking while I was reading. I guess I could have written my thoughts on a piece of paper and indicated page numbers. Oh well, live and learn! Now that I am using post-it notes, I find it difficult to pay close attention to what I am thinking while I read. I get too involved with the story! But using post-it notes is very useful, and reading them reminds me of what was happening at that point in the plot, without having to reread. 

So far, at page sixty-two, Elie and his family have been taken away to a concentration camp, and have spent several weeks there. Right away he was separated from his mother and sister, but has remained by his father’s side. Right now, Elie and his father have it easy, working in an old warehouse, sorting and counting spare parts. 

Many of my written comments have to do with how positive and strong Elie is being. I also have two post-it notes regarding the book and movie, The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas, by John Boyne (I loved the movie so much, I had to buy the novel! The Holocaust really interests me for some reason, apparently!). The first being about the electrified fences in Night, versus the plain fences in the movie The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas. Which is true? I want to lean towards Night being more accurate, since it is a true story, written by someone who lived through it. As I was reading through Night, I came across a paragraph where some German guards starting flirting with “young German girls” who were watching through the fence. This immediately reminded me of the attraction between Lieutenant Kotler and Gretel  in The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas.

So far I have really enjoyed writing in a blog as opposed to on paper. It is much more convenient for me, I don’t have to lug around binders from school to home, I can access it anywhere, and I type much faster than I write. It is also easier to manage and edit what I write before posting. I am up to date on mostly everything, but I could definitely be making more personal additions. I’ve really only made one, about The Magic Tree House!  I am not huge on doodling, really, and on my Listography photos, you can see that I did not draw much at all. But if we do this again, I will make sure I do more. I am not sure what I would like to do next as a writing project, but I’m sure whatever we’re handed out will be fine with me.

3 comments:

  1. "I want to lean towards Night being more accurate, since it is a true story, written by someone who lived through it."

    - This is a great observation about writing style. What is it about books set in the Holocaust that grabs your attention? I have the book called "The Annex" which tells the story of Anne Frank but from the perspective of Peter (who has also living in the Secret Annex with Anne Frank). I just bought it, and haven't yet read it. Are you interested?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I find the Holocaust interesting because... it really happened. We talk about it like some "thing" that just was, and we leave it at that. But the things done to the Jews were very real. I don't know how else to describe it. It is such a recent event too, which is sick, and disappointing, but it completely fascinates me.

      I know practically everything about Anne Frank, I dressed up as her for an oral book report (The Diary of Anne Frank) in elementary school, and since then, I've been hooked. I went to the Holocaust museum when I was seven, and the mountain of little black shoes has been ingrained into my mind since. I would love to read The Annex!

      Delete
  2. I meant "The Diary of A Young Girl," but I can't edit the comment!

    ReplyDelete