Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Reading and Writing Reflection #7

Reading Reflection

Book: The Five People You Meet in Heaven / The Bond
Author: Mitch Albom / Wayne Pacelle
Pages Read: 164-end / 1-104 (skipping around though)

I finished TFPYMIH, finally! It was a slower book for me than Tuesdays With Morrie, but it was fairly enjoyable nonetheless. The book is back on the bookshelf at school, so I don't have it to reference, but I'll try my best. I wasn't super satisfied with the ending, it wasn't round the way I thought it would be (like Night by Elie Weisel, earlier this year!), but I was glad to put the book to rest. The topic of Heaven is so interesting to me. I am Christian, I do believe in God and Heaven, but I have no idea -nor does anyone else for that matter- what it could possibly be like. Maybe everyone's version of Heaven is different. Not that anyone could tell us. I don't know for sure that God and Heaven exist, but I guess that's what "faith" means? It just seems crazy that after you die, nothing happens. There must be more to it than that, there jsut has to be! Reincarnation anyone? And a question, when you die, if you do arrive in Heaven, do you stay forever your age at death? Or your favourite year of your life? The same age as your spouse who went before you? Fascinating.

As for The Bond, by Wayne Pacelle, it is not at all like I thought it would be! I thought it would be about "the bond" between us and our pets, how we connect and usderstand eachother without even having to use language. How they make us feel better, keep us company, maybe save our lives sometimes? The first.. fifth-ish I've read has been mostly about the history of our relationship with animals, be it good or bad. When animals were first domesticated, animal sacrifice, and (which I found very interesting) the challenges of different theories going back and forth from zoologists and scientists about whether or not animals (maninly speaking of dogs) are capable of thinking. Yes, thinking! I am so glad to live in modern times....

Writing Reflection

I have trouble with this kind of writing reflection, because half of the people I click on Cre8tive Havoc's followers (my classmates) do not have their blog listed under their name, only the blogs they follow. But those listed as followers, you can also get to from Cre8tive Havoc, so they're all the same few people. Also, I don't want to seem creepy by commenting on someone's blog I don't really know... -.-

Comment #1:  http://carlyblogsnow.blogspot.ca/2012/04/reading-reflection-6.html?showComment=1335321761058#c4246903456710688974
I commented on Carly's blog post about The Lucky One, because I really want to read this book! I am a big Nicholas Sparks fan, and she made the novel sound very interesting. That deputy is probably a trouble maker. I am currently reading Dear John, and loving it! I need to watch the movie again. Channing Tatum...

Comment #2: http://hollysayss.blogspot.ca/2012/04/hello-personal-addcition.html?showComment=1335322200618#c7367994658915590796
Holly's blog post really grabbed my attention. There is something about candid/every day photography that is just so enjoyable. As I said in my comment, you can revisit the memory any time you want. I really love seeing photos around the 3-8 year old range. Anything before is too early to remember, and anything after I can remember easily myself. I love digital photography, but I am sad that when I grow up and have children, I will not have a photo album to pull out of the closet. There is something about holding a physical photo in your hands that you just can't compare with a memory card.

 Comment #3: http://noodlingfordummies.blogspot.ca/2012/03/6-word-memoir-3-ate-too-much-againand.html?showComment=1335323253868#c2130746484192686767
I decided to check out Colton's blog to, one, see if he writes the same way that he speaks (he does), and, two, because his blog name is intriguing! I guessed that he was talking about the act of fishing with your bare hands, "noodling." My dad is a fan -.- Anyway, he posted about food, so of course I'm all over that. I eat until I'm nauseous, and sometimes catch myself out of breath mid-meal! But like Colton says: "..there 'aint no stopping until we're their."

2 comments:

  1. I read TFPYMIH a couple of years back! How shocking was the ending! Such a good twist. I found that book really hard to read emotionally because there was so much going on. Who was your favourite character?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Morgan! The ending was pretty shocking! Nothing like I expected it to be. I think my favourite character had to be Marguerite. She seemed so sincere and loving to Eddie. I want my future husband to be a male version of her. Kind and compassionate.

      Delete